According to CIES Football Observatory, Barcelona’s forward Lionel Messi is first, whereas Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo is 29th in top forwards of European football. CIES Football Observatory have compiled the strikers based on their taken-ons, shooting, chances created, recovery, rigour, distribution. Year 2015 is turning out to be great for Lionel Messi and worst for Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo. Let’s have a look on how they ranked footballers.
Key Performance Indicators of CIES Football Observatory
- Take-on: Strength of a player who creates vulnerable situations against the opponents by dribbling or by any other way.
- Shooting: Ability of a player who takes advantage of goal opportunities through great shooting accuracy.
- Chances created: Key factor of a player who creates goal scoring chances for his team.
- Recovery: Probably the ability of a defender also, who minimize goal scoring opportunities of the rivals by skillful interceptions
- Rigour: Ability of a player to decrease goal opportunities for opponents through robust dueling.
- Distribution: Player having a good control on game with better ball possession.
According to these parameters, CIES have ranked the forwards from top European football leagues. It means, Lionel Messi is the most complete player right now.
After winning third Ballon D’or this year, Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo have scored just six goals this year. On the other hand, Lionel Messi have netted 19 times and is the leading goal scorer of La Liga 2014–15.
Lionel Messi is followed by Bayern Munich star striker Arjen Robben who got 92 points based on the above factors. Another player from Bundesliga in the form of Bas Dost is listed at third spot with 77 points. Given below is the list of Top 15 forwards, according to CIES Football Observatory:
|Rank||Forward name||Nation||Club||Points [CIES]|
|2||Arjen Robben||Netherlands||Bayern Munich||92|
|6||Harry Kane||England||Tottenham Hotspur||57|
|6||Marco Reus||Germany||Borussia Dortmund||57|
|9||Pierre Emerick Aubameyang||France||Borussia Dortmund||55|
|11||Antonie Griezmann||France||Atletico Madrid||52|
None of Real Madrid player is listed in top 10 of this ranking. The tri of Barcelona, Messi — Suarez — Neymar are there at first, fourth and twelfth spot respectively.